W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > April 2008

[CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2008-04-09

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:49:07 -0700
Message-ID: <47FEC393.7080400@inkedblade.net>
To: www-style@w3.org

Meeting: Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) Working Group Teleconference
Date: 09 April 2008
ScribeNick: fantasai
Present:
   Cesar Acebal
   David Baron
   Bert Bos
   Arron Eicholz
   Elika Etemad
   Daniel Glazman
   Molly Holzschlag
   Peter Linss
   Jason Cranford Teague
   Anne van Kesteren
   Steve Zilles

Summary:

   Discussed media queries, should be ready for LC soon, but still has
   a couple open issue. Main one is whether to use
     @media (portrait) { ... }
     @media (landscape) { ... }
   or
     @media (orientation: portrait) { ... }
     @media (orientation: landscape) { ... }

   Discussed charter details (wording etc.)

   Discussed CSS2.1 Issue 8
     http://csswg.inkedblade.net/spec/css2.1#issue-8
   Anne needs to come up with better wording before we discuss the two
   wording proposals. Seem to have agreement on the end result.

   Discussed CSS2.1 Issue 24
     http://csswg.inkedblade.net/spec/css2.1#issue-24
   Interest in making {(['" matching style sheet global, need a wording
   proposal to continue discussion.

   RESOLVED: For CSS2.1 Issue 31
               http://csswg.inkedblade.net/spec/css2.1#issue-31
             David Baron's proposal in
               http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0079.html
             is accepted.

   RESOLVED: For (CSS2.1) ISSUE-1
               http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/1
             Second wording proposal accepted:
              Insert before "It is recommended that the reference pixel be..."
              the sentence "It is recommended that the pixel unit refer to
              the whole number of device pixels that best approximates the
              reference pixel."

   RESOLVED: Add John Daggett as CSS3 Fonts module editor.

Full Minutes Below.
=======================================================================

Actions
-------

   Bert: ACTION-8 closed
   Bert: ACTION-10 is done
   Bert: ACTION-11, asked Jason and Molly, didn't ask Hyatt yet
   Bert: ACTION-13 is done
   Bert: ACTION-21 is done, waiting for reviewi
   Bert: ACTION-37 done
   Bert: ACTION-41 closed, already on Elika's list

   <fantasai> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0024.html

   Arron: Wrt, ACTION-5, I think proposal simplifies things.
   Arron: Microsoft accepts the change for CSS2.1 issue 8
   Arron: ACTION-5 closed
   Arron: ACTION-22 still open
   <Bert> close ACTION-8
   <trackbot-ng> ACTION-8 Answer http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006May/0037.html closed
   <Bert> close ACTION-10
   <trackbot-ng> ACTION-10 Update bg-space.png to tile images to the edge.
                 closed
   <Bert> close ACTION-11
   <trackbot-ng> ACTION-11 Ask Hyatt, Jason and Molly about the issue in
                 4.6, how many bg-clips need there be. closed
   <Bert> reopen ACTION-11
   <trackbot-ng> ACTION-11 Ask Hyatt, Jason and Molly about the issue in
                 4.6, how many bg-clips need there be. re-opened
   <Bert> close ACTION-13
   <trackbot-ng> ACTION-13 Inform Svante to make decided upon edits closed

   <glazou> fantasai, ACTION-6 opera seems to agree on it
   <anne> on the idea
   <glazou> fantasai ACTION-7 no response yet
   <glazou> ACTION-19 is done
   <anne> not the spec change suggested

   Glazou: talked with Andrew about tree-lists and joining WG
   Elika: If we're going to go over actions in telecon, if you do one mark
          it pending review, not OPEN or CLOSED, and we can close it at
          the telecon
   Anne: close ACTION-15
   Anne: Action-27 should happen when we apply new CR conformance wording

Media Queries
-------------

   Daniel: Is Media Queries ready for LC?
   Anne: a couple open issues
   Daniel: We need a few days for review after you say the draft is ready
   Anne: We need a resolution on making portrait/landscape one media
         feature instead of two
   Anne: one feature is in the draft, two was the last resolution
   Daniel: Everyone has an action to review that issue, we will discuss
           that at the next telecon
   <anne> http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/css3-mediaqueries/disposition.html
   <anne> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0128.html
   ACTION: Everyone look at portrait/landscape orientation issue
   Anne: We will discuss Media Queries going to LC next week


Charter
-------

   Daniel: Bert sent a proposal for the draft of the new charter.
   Daniel: Can you summarized changes from existing charter?
   Bert: First part, the goals is the same except for editorial
   Bert: Scope is also only editorial changes
   Bert: Deliverables is a new list
   Daniel: That list is going to be updated with feedback from implementors
   Bert: Mentioned coordination group, WAI, and i18n
   Bert: UWA for Template Layout, CDF and OMA for Mobile Profile, mentioned
         XSL traditionally
   ... Updated teleconferences and mailing lists section
   ... Now mentions public list for technical discussion
   ... Some people want it to be phrased differently, open to suggestions
   ... Mentioned public minutes
   ... Mentioned vote
   Daniel: Wrt teleconferences, John Daggett mentioned that the telecon
           time is very inconvenient for Asia
   Steve: Member companies only have one official rep, and good standing
          applies to that rep and alternates as one person
   Molly: Didn't we add some language about allowing participation on IRC
          as fair in exceptional circumstances?
   <fantasai> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0025.html
   <fantasai> RESOLVED: Participation over IRC is acceptable for telecons
              in exceptional circumstances. Participation over IRC means
              reading the minutes in IRC and participating back, not merely
              being online at the right time.
   <Cesar_Acebal> I must go out for a few minutes, I'm sorry.
   <anne> :)
   Steve: Participation over IRC is acceptable, but the participant must
          indicate his participation by interacting with the group.
   Bert: Shall I add that to the charter?
   Daniel: yes
   Daniel: Everyone, please read charter and make comments to mailing list
   Daniel: We need to have charter ready by end of month
   Steve: When are we going through the list of deliverables?
   Daniel: I took an action to discuss with implementors about their interest.
   Daniel: As soon as we have their feedback, we will go through the list.
   Steve: Ping me when you ping the implementors, because the Air platform
          includes CSS (?)


CSS2.1
------

   http://csswg.inkedblade.net/spec/css2.1
   http://csswg.inkedblade.net/spec/css2.1#issue-8
   <Zakim> -Anne_van_Kesteren
   <anne>  ]
   <anne> ugh
   <glazou> anne, can you join back ?
   <anne> What I was going to say was that I think what I suggested is more
          consistent with how anon inline boxes are handled
   * anne goes to fetch his second phone...
   <glazou> we wait for you
   <fantasai> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0166.html
   <Zakim> +Anne_van_Kesteren
   Elika: Anne's dislikes the wording in the proposal, and wants alternate
          wording
   Elika: but his wording is very imprecise and inaccurate
   <anne> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0198.html
   <dbaron> this is very hard to follow without knowing what the two
            proposals are
   <fantasai> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0024.html
   Steve: We could ask anne to fix up his proposal, then ask the WG which
          one they prefer
   ACTION: Anne fix wording of http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0166.html
   <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-47 - Fix wording of
                 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0166.html
                 [on Anne van Kesteren - due 2008-04-16].

   Issue 24
   Elika: Wrt issue 24, I think we should make bracket matching (and
          quote parsing) stylesheet global
   <dbaron> Making them global to the style sheet is already implied by
            the formal grammar.
   Elika: otherwise we will have UAs with different levels of CSS support
          scoping blocks differently
   Anne: Proposal is to make forward-compatible handling of {[("' apply
         to the whole style sheet
   Anne and fantasai are in favor of that
   <bjoern> (it's implied by the grammar only if they nest properly, the
            error recovery is spelled out individually for some, but not
            all, parts of the style sheet)
   <bjoern> (or more generally, if the style sheet matches the core syntax)
   WG agrees to go forward by writing a proposal under this assumption
      and then discussing it

   Issue 31
   <dbaron> proposal in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0079.html
   RESOLVED: Proposal accepted

   Issue 32
   David: this thread wound up discussing other issues as well, and there's
          a proposal for one of the issues raised in that thread
   Elika: we may want to deal with 24 first
   <Cesar_Acebal> I'm back again. I'm sorry.

   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/1 px issue
   Elika summarizes issue
   Peter: I think it's a good change. Are there implementations that
          do differently?
   David: Firefox 3 does this
   Elika: Change is recommended, not required
   Daniel: So I hear consensus on the change
   <fantasai> alternate wordings:
   <fantasai> Proposed change:
              Replace "the user agent should rescale pixel values"
              with "the user agent should rescale pixel units to a
              different whole number of device pixels"
              OR
              Insert before "It is recommended that the reference pixel be..."
              the sentence "It is recommended that the pixel unit refer to
              the whole number of device pixels that best approximates the
              reference pixel."
   RESOLVED: second proposed wording accepted

   Page-break-inside issue
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0018.html
   Bert wanted some extra time to look at page-break-inside
   ACTION: Bert look at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0018.html
   <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-48 - Look at
                 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0018.html
                 [on Bert Bos - due 2008-04-16].

Other
-----

   Steve gives regrets for next three weeks, due to being in Japan and China
   Daniel: If you want to put something on the agenda, please put it before
           Tuesday evening Pacific time
   Daniel: So I can collect everything on Wednesday morning
   Elika: A note: Please only use [CSSWG] for communications that represent
          the entire WG, such as minutes and resolutions.
   Elika: A question: Should John Daggett be added as editor of fonts module?
          I'm told Paul is ok with this.
Received on Friday, 11 April 2008 01:49:56 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 27 April 2009 13:55:05 GMT