RE: [css3-mediaqueries] Is 'resolution' in terms of device pixels or CSS pixels?

> you're better off selecting font sizes based on information other
> than the screen resolution. Size of the screen, for instance, or
> distance-to-viewers-eyes (billboards vs. handhelds).

How likely are servers going to be to know the nature of
the UA to that extent?

For example, the IBM T221 LCD has over 200 PPI. A server could
assume that 200 PPI meant the display must be a handheld device,
but noticing the 3840x2200 pixel format and 22" diagonal sizes
should cause the server to think otherwise.

Similarly, the Amazon Kindle 167 PPI might suggest the same
viewing distance as an iPhone, but the 6" screen might suggest
something slightly farther. And if the server doesn't notice that
the display is electronic paper (i.e. reflective, bitonal) it
still might make poor decisions about what content to send.

This problem gets perhaps worse as you consider printing. What's
the viewing distance for a B (metric A3) size print?  Depends on
the application. Figure 1200 DPI for modern printers, only a few
bits/pixel.

It seems likely that deducing viewing conditions from technical
specs will get harder over time as more display devices hit the
market. To that extent, Boris Zbarsky's comment "let the device
manufacturer, who knows something about the viewing distance,
handle the conversion to device pixels..." makes the most sense.

But I suspect that still leaves web page authors wanting. It
seems like just as css3-color describes color rendering intent,
[1] it might be helpful to offer a "spatial rendering intent"
using similar values (e.g. absolute, relative, etc) to give the
UA guidance.

Oh, and I second the call for adding "um" for microns as a unit.

To be clear, all of these my thoughts and opinions, not HP's
official stance, by any means.

regards,
Matt

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#renderingintent