Re: [CSSWG] action 38, CSS Variables

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 00:08:31 +0200
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman:
>   http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/cssvariables/

| RQ4
| Calls to a variable in the assignment of the value of a property
should
| make the corresponding CSS declaration invalid in a non-conformant
| legacy browser, the CSS error handling rules allowing then a fallback
| to a regular CSS Level 2 rule.

This requirement is not necessary with my idea of overwritable (and
some new) keywords. It is not as universally usable as your proposal
and requires more than one new at-rule, but it degrades much better
and type mismatches or unknown values have to be handled only at
instantiation. Authors will probably like your proposal better,
though, because of its powerfulness, but I'm afraid this makes it
also more prone to bugs.

<http://www.w3.org/mid/EF8B8B3C-5AA3-4A30-B22E-5BCCD6BAFB18@crissov.de>
<http://www.w3.org/mid/3B685382-492E-4095-9DCF-6E1DD040DFFC@crissov.de>