Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Is 'resolution' in terms of device pixels or CSS pixels?

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:28:32 -0700
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style@w3.org
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>

On Apr 7, 2008, at 8:05 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:00:08 +0200, Brad Kemper
> <brkemper@comcast.net> wrote:
>> It does make sense to keep it if you think about something like an
>> iPhone, that has high resolution and a width of 480 device pixels.
>> On something like that, because the resolution is so high, I'm
>> going to want to use fairly large font sizes, so that you don't
>> have to squint to read it. But on something else, like a 72 dpi
>> monitor, I might want to use smaller font sizes instead, since the
>> pixels will be larger, and therefore the text will appear larger.
>> By using smaller text on a low res monitor, I can fit more on the
>> screen, and it does not appear to be that small because the pixels
>> are all huge.
>
> You actually want the proprietary -webkit-device-pixel-ratio for
> that, not resolution.

I don't think so. From what Hyatt wrote in Surfing Safari about -
device-pixel-ratio, that feature is used for when you want to specify
different rules for when the screen is zoomed.[1] What I am talking
about is specifying different rules for high-density displays for a
display of a given number of pixels across and down that what you
would give for a low-density display of the same number of pixels.

The spec for MQ specifically gives examples for the resolution of
print devices, with examples "300pdi" and "118dpcm". [2] Surely that
is device pixels.

[1] http://webkit.org/blog/55/high-dpi-web-sites/
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-css3-mediaqueries-20070606/#resolution