Re: fallback color for background-image (ISSUE-5)

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 02:42:24 +1100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> Wouldn't this happen anyway if I just had.
>>
>> background: red url(image.png);
>>
>> Why would you need the transparent background?
>
> What if the image uses opacity features provided by the image format?
> (PNG, SVG, etc. have that.) You don't want red to "shine through", you
> want whatever to shine through that is below the element in question.

For the cases where images are disabled or with a 404 error wouldn't

background: url(image.png);

do the same? Why have the red background in the first place?

What actually happens when the image format is not supported? Would the
result be similar to what happens with IE6 and transparent png that
shows a silver background?

I have forgotten to ask this previously. What is Issue-5?

Alan

http://css-class.com/test/