Re: Proposal for clipping background images to foreground text

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 22:06:08 -0700
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

David Hyatt wrote:

> Yeah, I think a new property like text-fill (that does most of what
> backgrounds do) might be better than what I've implemented.  In WebKit,
> I've already split text drawing into filling and stroking (with a
> separate text-fill-color property).  If that fill color became part of a
> larger shorthand, that might work.

Well, the point of the separate color is for it to behave as a fallback
if the image fails to load. text-fill-color implies to me that the color
will always be applied.

> I believe at one point David Baron was proposing generic fill rules that
> could be referenced (something that could combine gradient fills,
> pattern fills and color fills together) where colors are used.   That's
> another possibility.

Fills aren't as straightforward as colors, so I wouldn't insert them into
<color>. You have to define how they apply to multi-box elements (such as
an inline broken across lines).
   See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-background-break for how
this affects backgrounds.

~fantasai