RE: [CSSWG] Resolutions 2008-02-26

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:34:29 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
cc: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> > Selectors
> > ---------
> >
> >   - RESOLVED: Attribute substring matches against empty string invalid.
> >       (Not sure what resolution was on |=, though; it might have been different
> >       but wasn't recorded in minutes.)
>
> This resolution has been retracted. The new resolution is that attribute substring
> matches against the empty string are valid, but match nothing. This is compatible
> with existing implementations.
>
> ~fantasai

Can I please seek clarification about attribute substring selectors with empty strings.

[att^=val]

[att$=val]

[att*=val]

You (CSSWG) are saying that these are (now declared) valid but match 'nothing'. The existing implementations that support such attribute substrings show all the above as matching except for the last [att*=val] with one implementation. As I understand the retraction of Resolutions 2008-02-26 would indicate that now all implementations must change their existing behavior. Is this correct?

I will support whatever is decided but I would like to know precisely what is being changed or what is being kept as current implementations behavior.

Alan

http://css-class.com/test/