Re: Positioned elements

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 02:48:13 -0500
To: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
> Why cannot you just add attribute
> 	style="position:relative"
> to the td that is the parent of <select> and replace the
> "position:parent" with "position:absolute"?
>
> Wouldn't that get you exactly the result you're looking for?
It’s probably worth noting that Firefox 2, Opera 9.23, and Safari 3.0.3
(beta) don’t allow you to absolutely position elements relative to table
cells. On the other hand, Internet Explorer 6 and 7 /do/ allow an author
to do what you just described. I’m not sure if this is incomplete CSS
support in the three former browsers or the way that CSS is supposed to
work; if it’s the latter, Eugen would seem to have a point with regard
to tables, at least.

You can find a simple demo for browser comparison at
<http://www.jsgp.us/demos/d0012.html>.

— Patrick Garies