Re: Proposal 'default' value

Eugen.Konkov@aldec.com wrote:
> under 'default' I mean initial value as it defined in DTD

No colour values should be specified in the DTD.

What you want is "initial", which, for colour, "depends on the user
agent".  It might not be black; it might be the foreground colour
currently configured for the GUI (e.g. Windows) currently being used.

> so computed value of 'color' in my example will be that as there no any
> css for 'color' of DIV  was defined
>

>> Would it be useful to have a 'default' value, defined to be equivalent
>> to 'inherit' for properties that are inherited by default and
>> equivalent to 'initial' for properties that are not inherited by default?
>
> %) too compex to understand what this sentence means

Some properties are inherited if no rule matches.  For those the,
proposed, "default", would result in inherit behaviour.  Inherit means
that the value is taken from the surrounding element.  color inherits,
by default, so "default" would produce whatever was the colour of the
element that contained DIV.

Other elements are  not inherited by default.  An example is "top".
Using "default" on "top" would result in its initial value, which is
"auto".  Using initial would do the same.

The proposal is that "default" should be introduced as a way of getting
the same effect as if no selector matched the element.  It would be
redundant, because whether to use "inherit" or "initial" is always well
defined.

--
David Woolley