Re: [css3-multicol] Breaking or Not Breaking Block Elements

From: (wrong string) åkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 01:14:57 +0200
To: "David E. Ross" <david@rossde.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach David E. Ross:

 > How do I declare styles for the paragraphs to keep each paragraph
 > intact without splitting that paragraph between two adjacent
 > columns?

>From section 6 of [1]:

   The $B!F(Bpage-break-inside$B!G(B property can be used to indicate that a
   column break should be avoided inside the element.

   [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/

 > Along the same lines, the specification for this module needs to
 > describe in more detail the breaking process.  Nowhere do I see
 > whether block-level elements can be broken internally.

Would a reference to

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-css3-page-20061010/#allowed-pg-brk

be suitable, you think?

 > Nowhere do
 > I see anything about reflowing columns if a displayed page is
 > re-rendered when the display area (viewport) is resized.

This is not column-specific, though. The UA is likely to refoermat any
document when the viewport is resized.

 > Finally, I'm disappointed that my earlier comment (22 Feb 2006)
 > about column headers is not being addressed.

I missed it, sorry. Thanks for the reminder.

-h&kon
              H,Ae(Bkon Wium Lie                          CTO ,A0~(Be,A.*(B