RE: [CSS3-content] [css3-lists] [css3-page] Implied counter-increment

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:55:15 -0000
To: "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, <www-style@w3.org>

fantasai said:
> The relevant text in CSS3 Lists currently says:
>   # To declare a list item, the 'display' property should be
> set to 'list-item'.
>   # This, in addition to generating a ::marker pseudo-element
> and enabling the
>   # properties described below for that element, causes that
> element to increment
>   # the list item counter list-item. (This does not affect
> the specified or
>   # computed values of the counter properties.)
>   #
>   # The list-item counter is a real counter, and can be
> directly affected using
>   # the 'counter-increment' and 'counter-reset' properties.
> It can also be used
>   # in the counter() and counters() function forms.
>
> This means that if the author specifies li { display: list-item; } and
>    li { counter-increment: mycounter; }
> or
>    li { counter-increment: none; }
> or
>    li{ counter-reset: list-item; counter-increment: none; }
> the 'list-item' counter is still created and incremented, but...

I lost you here.  Given that the list-item counter "can be directly
affected using the 'counter-increment'" property, why would list-item
increment in this case?

I would think the two counters (page and list-item) would behave the
same under these conditions.

(Based on the attached, it appears Opera agrees with you, Mozilla
doesn't display a marker at all in this case, IE and Prince don't
increment...)

Best wishes,

Melinda