Re: [CSS3-content] Implied counter-increment

From: Del Merritt <del@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:52:17 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> So far in CSS3 I've come across two implied counters:
>   pages     (CSS3 Paged Media)
>   list-item (CSS3 Lists)
>
> The 'pages' counter is incremented on each page box, as if
>   @page { counter-increment: pages; }
> were implied.
>
> The 'list-item' counter is incremented on each list-item, as if
>   :select-all-elements-with-display-list-item { counter-increment:
> list-item; }
> were implied.

There is also historically the counter called "page" (maybe?); see the
message thread I started on May 25, 2007, with:

    Subject: [css3-gcpm] counter() and "special" values

This included a discussion of general counter magic.  I don't remember
seeing a response to Håkon's question:

    Personally, I'm leaning towards defining the name of certain magic
    counters in the GCPM draft.

      http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/

Perhaps addressing that now would be of value.

-Del