Re: Proposal: "text-transform" property revision

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> I believe that we are better off doing as what the current specification
> gives in this regards.
>
> capitalize - Puts the first character of each word in uppercase; other
> characters are unaffected
>
> A stylesheet would have to be verified against every usage if the
> proposal is used ([lowercase || capitalize])
>
> The following are headlines from
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/default.stm.
> "Poland debate aired on UK radio" -> "Poland Debate Aired On Uk Radio"
> "US conciliatory over missile plan" -> "Us Conciliatory Over Missile
> Plan"
> "Barclays drops ABN Amro offer" -> Barclays Drops Abn Ambro Offer"
>

> I can think of places where there are advantages to the proposal, I
> believe there are too many common uses of capitalized text that would be
> converted incorrectly.

I wonder if by putting a little more of a burden on CSS authors, we
could handle the majority of cases. How about this:

Spec for exclude:

text-transform: [capitalize | uppercase | lowercase | none | inherit]
[exclude([[<word>],]*|none])]

"With the exception of the first word, do not change the case of words
listed in exclude. If exclude is none, exclude no words from
capitalization."

Markup:

<h1><span class="fn">Poland</span> debate aired on <abbr
class="fn">UK</abbr> radio</h1>

(Here fn stands for "formatted name" as in hCard.)

CSS:

h1 {text-transform: capitalize
exclude(a,an,and,but,for,from,if,in,of,or,over,nor,the,so,to);};
h1.fn {text-transform: none;}

Rendering:

Poland Debate Aired on UK Radio

--