Re: Printing Backgrounds

Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2007, at 2:42 PM, fantasai wrote:
>
>> Although they have an option to do so, by default most browsers don't
>> print backgrounds.
>>
>> I'd like to change that so that we print backgrounds for authors who
>> have thought about
>>
>> print and have set up their style sheets accordingly.
>>

> If you have any sway over how browser publishers implement features, how
> about you just get them to print what is specified? I really hate that
> they think they know better than me what vital design elements should
> print or not, and break the default printing of that design according to
> their own blanket presuppositions about my  designs. The average browser
> user usually has no idea that setting is even there. Why stop there? As
> long as they are deciding to chop out my background images in a way that
> neither the designer or end user would appreciate, they might as well
> chop out my foreground images yoo, and then why not my border and font
> specifications as well?
>
> Sorry. Touchy subject. You did ask for comments.

Heh, yeah. Turning on background printing by default is another option.
We're just afraid the users won't appreciate us wasting ink on pages that
didn't think about how much ink gets wasted when you print deep space
backgrounds or what-have-you. Because while we'd be happy to print your
designs as specified, there are a lot of clueless people out there we need
to deal with, too. Ten years ago not printing backgrounds was almost certainly
the right answer. Right now, I'm not sure what the right answer is.

~fantasai