[CSS3 Backgrounds] border-radius open issues: clipping and gradients

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:10:18 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

For the issues
   "Border images specified with 'border-image', however, are clipped at the
    outer edge of the curve. Or are they not affected at all?"
   "Mention that background images are clipped at the outer edge or the rounded

  I suggest that border-image not be affected at all. If the author wants that
  clipped, he can do it in the image editing program. Not clipping it ourselves
  lets him use border-radius as a fallback for a more complicated silhouette.

  Suggested edits:

  I recently added the following paragraph in response to the Beijing F2F

    # The inner border radius is the outer border radius minus the
    # corresponding border thickness. In the case where this results in a
    # negative value, the inner radius is zero. (In such cases its center
    # might not coincide with that of the outer border curve.)

  We can change "inner border radius" to "padding edge (inner border) radius".
  and then add

    | Backgrounds, but not the border-image, are clipped to the curve of the
    | border.

For the issue
   "If the two adjoining borders have different colors? A color gradient might
   look nice, but should we require it?"

  I suggest we recommend, but not require, a color gradient.

For the issue
   "[Ben Stucki] Is there a need for a property to allow the designer to select
    between smooth color gradient and cut off at 45 degree? The latter would also
    cut off a rounded corner of which one side has zero thickness."

  I suggest that this can be added in CSS4 if it's found to be necessary. I suspect
  that it won't be in high demand.