Re: Comments on media queries

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:42:22 +0000
To: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> In any case, authoring for interlaced displays assumes that you know the
> height of a scan line in CSS units. Media queries don't tell you how
 > many scan lines a px equals, for example.

I think you can safely assume (and I think designers do assume) that a
scan line is exactly 1px on all CRT displays, and especially ones that
would need interlacing.

  these days for a desktop to have a screen that is both interlaced and

Which says a lot about the throwaway society.

> has such a low refresh rate that it makes small details flicker.

I don't find flicker a problem on small details.  It is a problem when
someone designs large areas with alternate pixels dark and light on a
vertical section.  Flicker being more noticeable on large areas is why
early VDUs used a black background and white (green/orange) text.
--
David Woolley