Re: Comments on media queries

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> query? Since interlaced display at low refresh rates in already a legacy
> mode of operation, shouldn't dealing with legacy TV interlacing problems
> be something that a UA--not the author--takes care of?

I use a monitor that needs to be interlaced for 1024 x 768 at home, and
use it at 1024 x 768 because so much is difficult to use at less, these
days.  I continue to use it because it does the job well enough, and in
my estimation the environmental cost of scrapping it whilst it still
works is higher than the savings from the reduced power consumption of
smallish LCD displays.

One problem I occasionally get is designers who think it is cool to have
a background texture that has alternating scan lines light and dark.
That gives a big flicker problem.  Accepting that that sort of designer
probably wouldn't bother to do a media query for interlace, how would
you make a user agent that handled that situation without causing
problems where there was a legitimate need to have alternating
brightness between scan lines, and why would a user agent implementor
think it worth implementing such an algorithm?

--
David Woolley