Re: [CSS21] Case-insensitivity not defined

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:02:56 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org, www-international@w3.org

On Thursday 2007-11-15 13:11 -0800, Addison Phillips wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >I don't think it makes much sense here to make this more complex than
> >simply mapping A-Z to a-z and then comparing code points.
>
> Except that you can define identifiers in CSS that are non-ASCII. It

But which of those does CSS define as case-insensitive?  I think the
vast majority (if not all) of CSS's case-insensitive identifiers are
the ones that are already defined, not the ones that authors can
choose for themselves.

I think all existing CSS properties and values and HTML (non-XML)
tag names and attributes are all ASCII.  And I suspect that's also
true for all of the attribute values that HTML defines as
case-insensitive.

So, in other words, do you have a valid testcase where you could
distinguish whether it's ASCII-only case-insensitivity or something
else in any way other than looking for case folding that crosses
between ASCII and non-ASCII, like using the WÄ°DTH property?

-David