Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> That first is a huge if.  I'll take the date of modification over the
> date of printing any day, myself.  But I can see situations where the
> date of printing is in fact more useful.  It captures the fact that on

For web URLs as citations, date of viewing (printing) has become a
standard part of the citation.

> that date a later modification had not yet happened, which the
> modification date does not capture.

Unfortunately, most authors really do have wants that are better matched
to PDF, which was always designed to meet the want for reproducible
rendering.  Adobe knew where the market was, in that respect, even
though they have since been caught out by the web.
--
David Woolley