RE: Use Cases for Rotation in CSS

John Oyler wrote:

> > This note attempts to enumerate the set of use cases that have
> > been, to date, identified for providing a "rotation" (and/or
> > "tranform") property in CSS. (Because the discussion of "rotation"
> > broadened into a discussion of arbitrary 2D transforms, the
> > possibility of a "transform" property instead of just rotation is
> > considered in these use cases. The use cases themselves only
> > require rotation, however.
>
> By far the most useful will be for certain tables, where labeling
> columns will require text rotated into a vertical orientation, I'd
> think. Obviously images aren't appropriate, and svg seems burdensome.
> In many cases, text itself would be the most useful, and I'm not sure
> that rotation should be extended to arbitrary elements. Also less
> useful is arbitrary rotation... 90/180/270 degrees would do 95% of
> what most people need. Just my personal opinion.
>
> John Oyler
> john@discrevolt.com

But in a use case such a labeling for tables, I would believe that it would be much easier to read text that is not rotated but instead appearing vertical with letters flowing down an element like this

which is a working draft already.

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#text-layout

Text rotation I think is much more about stylizing the text.

Kind Regards, Alan

http://css-class.com/