[CSS3]Paged Mode cascading (was: Generated content: environment variables)

From: Ludger Buenger <ludger.buenger@realobjects.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:16:00 +0100
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

You know that this discussion moved to something totally different from the initial proposal, right?

The issue you advocate then is independent from whether there should be generated content shortcuts allowing to visualise specific environment metadata.

The issue you raise also applies if no metadata is added to paged margin boxes at all.
That it is possible to apply multiple stylesheets with possibly contradicting page margin area content definitions and you feel there are insufficient ways to override this in a well defined way.

If you are unhappy with the current cascading rules, it is valid for you to raise this issue.

>> I think, this is pretty well what the paged module working group is
>> working on...
>
> Yes, all I'm saying is that from what I can tell they're failing at it.
> That's why I got involved in this thread, frankly.

Nothing I can add here - I am not in a position to evaluate their work in any way at all, since I do not have an insight their progress.

Best regards,

Ludger