Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:52:10 -0400
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Ludger BŁnger <ludger.buenger@realobjects.com>, www-style@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Ludger BŁnger wrote:
>> Because some do like to have this info in their printouts and others
>> do not?
>
> Some _users_ or some _authors_?
>
> For the user, UAs typically provide a preference UI to control this sort
> of thing.
>
> For the author, I don't see why what they like matters; the user is the
> one who's ending up with the printout.

a) Not all CSS applications are web browsers. PrinceXML, for example,
    enables the use of CSS for publications like books, manuals, and theses.

b) In a web browser the user should be allowed to override the author's
    header styles, but it is quite reasonable for the author to be able
    to specify different header content and style if the user doesn't
    particularly care. For example, the CSS specifications could print the
    title, page number, url, and official date of publication rather than
    the date of printing. Driving directions could specify headers with the
    the starting address, ending address, site homepage URL, and date of
    retrieval and leave out the cropped, unreadable, and useless CGI URL.

~fantasai