Re: FW: [css2.1] identifier definition incorrect

On Tuesday 2007-10-23 21:54 -0400, fantasai wrote:
> Grant, Melinda wrote:
> >In http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#value-def-identifier, we find
> >the following:
> >"
> >In CSS, identifiers (including element names, classes, and IDs in
> >selectors <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html>) can contain only
> >the characters [a-z0-9] and ISO 10646 characters U+00A1 and higher, plus
> >the hyphen (-) and the underscore (_); they cannot start with a digit,
> >or a hyphen followed by a digit. Identifiers can also contain escaped
> >characters and any ISO 10646 character as a numeric code (see next
> >item). For instance, the identifier "B&W?" may be written as "B\&W\?" or
> >"B\26 W\3F".
> >"
> >
> >The characters A-Z should also be allowed, as the example indicates, and
> >as the preceding bullet item states.
>
> Recorded as Issue 15:
>   http://csswg.inkedblade.net/spec/css2.1#issue-15

The entire grammar is written case-insensitively.  If we fix this,
we'd need to fix a whole bunch of other places as well.  It seems
better to just say that the grammar is case-insensitive (or
case-insensitive for case transformations within ASCII; the
difference shouldn't matter).

-David