Re: Use Cases for Rotation in CSS

On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:41 PM, Steve Zilles wrote:

> This note attempts to enumerate the set of use cases that have
> been, to date, identified for providing a "rotation" (and/or
> "tranform") property in CSS. (Because the discussion of "rotation"
> broadened into a discussion of arbitrary 2D transforms, the
> possibility of a "transform" property instead of just rotation is
> considered in these use cases. The use cases themselves only
> require rotation, however.

By far the most useful will be for certain tables, where labeling
columns will require text rotated into a vertical orientation, I'd
think. Obviously images aren't appropriate, and svg seems burdensome.
In many cases, text itself would be the most useful, and I'm not sure
that rotation should be extended to arbitrary elements. Also less
useful is arbitrary rotation... 90/180/270 degrees would do 95% of
what most people need. Just my personal opinion.

John Oyler
john@discrevolt.com