font size in tables

From: Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:40:26 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

In our world, we use a standard stylesheet. That sheet has an entry
for the "body" tag that includes "font-size:75%". I'm not sure what it
takes 75% of, but that's not the question....

I have a page that consists of nested tables. If I don't specify any
font-size attribute on the outer table, everything appears in the
"full" font size, that is, 100% of whatever the body tag is taking 75%
of. The table doesn't seem to think that it's part of the "body".

If I specify "100%" for the outer table, then text within it is the
same size as body text: 75% (of something). But the text within the
nested table is the same 100% of whatever the body is taking 75% of.
Makes no sense to me.

So I have to specify 75% on the inner tables, and 100% on the outer
one. This is true in both IE and Gecko browsers.

I don't understand what's going on. Does anybody"?

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov