Re: last-letter and last-line Pseudo-Elements

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 22:25:53 +0200
To: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>

mozer/Xmlizer:

(Strange names parents are giving their children today.)

> On 5/14/07, Adam <theoremic@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> One immediate use I can think of for ::last-letter is pull-quotes.
>> The
>> opening quotation mark is easily created using ::first-letter, and I
>> would say ::last-letter would introduce the equivalent ease for the
>> closing quotation mark.
>
> what about ::before and ::after ?

First off, |:first-letter| (and likewise a hypothetical |:last-
letter| selector) is a pseudo-class and not a pseudo-element and
therefore has only one colon (at least it was like that last time I
checked); |::before| and |::after| on the other hand are pseudo-
elements indeed.

That is also why those are two completely different approaches to the
pull-quote example. Pseudo-classes do *not* generate the quotation
marks, but select them from the existing content to enable styling.
You can generate them -- well, sort of, they will not become real
content  -- with pseudo-elements and the |content| property.