Re: [css3-gcpm] Multi-column floats overflowing the column

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Del Merritt:
>
>  > Having not (recently) read the "separated[sic] CSS3 module [CSS3COL]", I
>  > don't see how widow and orphan lines in columns are handled; the worst
>  > case would be a single line in column 1 appearing on the next page, of
>  > course, but there are several ways for columns to not align well,
>  > particularly when the goal might be to present on US-Letter and A4, for
>  > example.  CSS3COL does say, "In all three cases, the UA determines the
>  > height of the columns based on the content which needs to be fitted.
>  > Content should be balanced between columns to minimize the column
>  > height, while honoring the 'widows' and 'orphans' properties.", but that
>  > doesn't seem to address how columnar data that crosses page boundaries
>  > should work.  Is that implicit in the other properties in @page?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question.

If the block that is in column style does not specify its height in any
way, then on paged media the actual height on a given page cannot be
greater than the page box.  When the text, etc., that is in that block
would not fit on a single page, I have missed how it would spill onto
the next page(s), particularly the last page required.  If this was a
2-column newsletter and there were 10 lines of text that spilled from
Page 1 to Page 2, I think the preferred result would be for all 10 widow
lines to be in column 1, leaving column 2 empty.  Another designer might
think differently.

What I find missing in a paged-media spec are more examples of
multi-page results.  "Page floats" sort of address this, but I don't
think the relationship to columns is clear.  This is also why I wonder
if there is an appropriate way for @page rules to regulate such styling.

> BTW, You are referring to an old draft of the multi-col spec:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-multicol-20010118/

Ah.  I was referring to the version explicitly mentioned in the "Other