Réf. : Re: CSS Generated content selection

From: <leslie.brown@evidian.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 01:43:35 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

> Nope.  At the same time, a user who tries copy-paste from a web page
into the
> same web page should also get the same effect (things look just like
they did).
> This is what makes life hard with general generated content... because
the
> entity providing the clipboard data has no idea where it will get
pasted.

Agreed. But don't forget that, under Windows at least, you can usually
choose
between multiple formats (Edit/Paste special).

I'm not an implementor and I don't know how the "pasted-into" application
decides which is the default format to use when the user "just" pastes,
but the following example scenario makes sense to me:

- For the "paste as plain text" format, add the numbers or roman numerals
  or whatever

- For the "paste as HTML" format, add the styling information and do NOT
  add the numbers

- And in general, leave out the generated content when the format provides
  an equivalent mechanism to generate the same effect

A "bitmap" format can (surprisingly?) be useful too. I'd never have
thought of this if it hadn't been the default format when pasting
from Microsoft Excel into Lotus Notes 5 and earlier.

Les