Re: [css3-gcpm] Multi-column floats overflowing the column

From: Brady Duga <duga@ljug.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:32:15 -0700
Cc: Brady Duga <duga@ljug.com>, W3C CSS <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>

On May 4, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

> There is no contradiction here. GCPM defines new kinds of float
> behavior, specifically with the intent of overriding clipping
> behavior of columns. Therefore definition of how these new floats
> interact with other objects (including columns) belongs in GCPM.

That's fine - I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed to flow out of
the columns, but I do see a contradiction (or at least potential
confusion) in the current wording. The draft says it extends the
functionality of the multi-column spec, not that it replaces it.
Since the multi-column spec says things get clipped and this draft
never explicitly modifies that constraint, it appears that it should
still be in place. I would like to see some text explaining when (for
paged media) it is allowed for floated content to flow into
neighboring columns. Always? Only when using one of the new float
values? Only when float-offset is specified?

--Brady