Re: controlling tab size

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:20:31 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

On Monday 26 March 2007 21:02, Yahia wrote:
> James Justin Harrell <herorev@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I personally prefer tabs over spaces for indenting
> > source code because it is more semantic and easier to change
> > how wide the indentions are.
>
> If any tab in the source HTML is rendered as a whitespace, in the same
> fashion that any amout of whitespace is rendered as a single one, then why
> would you want to control it with CSS?
>
> You're saying you use tabs in the source for indenting. What does that
> have to do with CSS?

I am guessing he wants to put his source code in a "white-space: pre" block,
and wants to control how tabs are converted.

That said. The ascii standard is that tabs are 8 spaces. That some editors
choose to break the standard does not make a good idea to extend this useless
and incompatible non-standard to browsers.

The biggest problem with non-standard tab-size is that they regress very
poorly to standard (or old) viewers.

`Allan