Re: [CSS 2.1] child-> position:absolute, parent -> overflow:scroll

From: Eli Friedman <sharparrow1@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:32:35 -0700 (PDT)
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

--- Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the link, here is one more:
> http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/abspos.htm

Note: when doing CSS testing, make sure you do it in
standards mode (put <!DOCTYPE html> at the beginning).
Doing CSS testing in quirks mode is pointless.

> This dynamic test uses three blocks:
>
> <A abs-positioned>
>   <B scrollable>
>      <C abs-positioned >
>
> According to the spec block C shall
> not move when B will be scrolled.
>
> Results:
>
> Firefox:
> containing block of C is A (correct)
> so it does not move the block C (correct), but
> position of  block C is not correct.

You're not taking the margin on C into account;
Firefox is coming up with the right position.

> IE:
> containing block of A is B (not correct) so
> block is moving.

My testing shows IE gets the wrong width and position
for C, but correctly does not scroll C.

> Opera:
> containing block is A (correct)
> but it moves the block C while scrolling
> block B (not correct)

-Eli

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail