CSS2, 3.2 Conformance, point 4...

From: Fennell, Philip <philip.fennell@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:58:20 -0000
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Hello,

I am in the process of building a CSS 2 processor that takes as input an
XML document and obtains any CSS style sheets referenced by the
xml-stylesheet processing instruction. The processor then parsers the
style sheet(s) and applies the CSS rules to the XML document. The output
is the original XML document with CSS style property attributes embedded
according to the CSS rules. A subsequent process will render the
'styled' XML document.

I have a query regarding point 4 of the conformance requirements.

Where, in point 4, it states that:

For each element in a document tree, it must assign a value for every
applicable property according to the property's definition and the rules
of cascading and inheritance.

Can I take this to mean that in this most simple example:

Source document
<feed>
</feed>

Style sheet
feed {
  display:block;
  color:#000000;
}

Result document
<feed xmlns:css="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/" css:display="block"
css:color="#000000">
</feed>

That every descendant of the 'feed' element will need to carry the
inheritable css:color attribute in order for my implementation to claim
conformance to CSS 2?

Regards

Philip Fennell