Re: (Visual) anchor navigation aids

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:08:36 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-style@w3.org

> Something the Web lacks greatly in terms of clarity is information on where
> anchors lead. There are many ways to be mislead, and it became a real problem
> once opening multiple background windows and tabs became possible.

This is requested from time to time.  As I remember it, the big problem is
that, in many cases, it is not possible to recognize that a URL refers to
the current page (automated styling is most useful when the same URL
appears on multiple pages, including its own page).

> It would be useful if you could determine whether the destination anchor is
> earlier or later in the document. At least then the reader would have some idea

The problem with difference in source and reading orders has already been
noted.