Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

Hmm, should anything be done about ltr/rtl handling on
the body?
See
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsblame.cgi?file=mozilla/layout/generic/nsGfxScrollFrame.cpp&rev=3.298&mark=2079-2087#2079

I'm not sure if there's anything about it in the spec.

-Eli Friedman

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/1999JulSep/0011.html

> > (member-only link).
>
> Ah. That'll teach me to believe what I'm told. :-)
> (My statement above was
> based on what I was told after joining the CSSWG in
> 2000.)
>
> I guess this means that there is no longer anyone
> who actually wants to
> keep these differences, and we can indeed go ahead
> with the change.
>
> The wording difference to CSS2.1 would be:
>
>    6.4.4 paragraph 2: change "For HTML" to "For HTML
> and XHTML".
>
>    11.1.1: Change the sentence "HTML UAs must
> instead apply the 'overflow'
>    property from the BODY element to the viewport,
> if the value on the
>    HTML element is 'visible'." to:
>
>       When the root element is an HTML "HTML"
> element or an XHTML "html"
>       element, and that element has an HTML "BODY"
> element or an XHTML
>       "body" element as a child, user agents must
> instead apply the
>       'overflow' property from the first such child
> element to the
>       viewport, if the value on the root element is
> 'visible'.
>
>    14.2 paragraph 4: change to:
>
>       For HTML documents, however, we recommend that
> authors specify the
>       background for the BODY element rather than
> the HTML element. For
>       documents whose root element is an HTML "HTML"
> element or an XHTML
>       "html" element that has computed values of
> 'transparent'
>       for 'background-color' and 'none' for
> 'background-image', user
>       agents must instead use the computed value of
> those properties from
>       that element's first HTML "BODY" element or
> XHTML "body" element
>       child when painting backgrounds for the
> canvas, and must not paint a
>       background for that child element. Such
> backgrounds must also be
>       anchored at the same point as they would be if
> they were painted
>       only for the root element.
>
>    17.5 paragraph 2: change the last sentence to:
> "These rules do not
>    apply to HTML or XHTML; HTML imposes its own
> limitations on row and
>    column spans."
>
>    17.5 final example: This would need various
> editorial changes to
>    indicate that the second example is not XHTML but
> some non-HTML XML
>    vocabulary.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Ian Hickson               U+1047E
> http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,
> Things that are impossible just take longer.

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/