Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:11:16 +0100, Rainer Ã…hlfors
<rahlfors@wildcatsoftware.net> wrote:

> First of all -- shouldn't this go in an XHTML related thread?

I don't know what this means.

> And, can you expand more on what you mean by "magic"? I know what I
> understand it as, but I am not entirely sure that covers exactly what you
> mean. So, can you expand on the differences and proposed changes in
> detail?

Ok.

 From 14.2:

| For HTML documents whose root HTML element has computed values of
| 'transparent' for 'background-color' and 'none' for 'background-image',
| user agents must instead use the computed value of those properties from
| that HTML element's first BODY element child when painting backgrounds
| for the canvas, and must not paint a background for that BODY element.
| Such backgrounds must also be anchored at the same point as they would
| be if they were painted only for the root element. This does not apply
| to XHTML documents.

The last sentence should say "This applies to XHTML as well.", but perhaps
be more specific about what it means, e.g.:

    For XML documents whose root element is html in the
    http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace and has computed values of
    'transparent' for 'background-color' and 'none' for 'background-image',
    user agents must instead use the computed value of those properties from
    the root element's first body element child (in the same namespace) when
    painting backgrounds for the canvas, and must not paint a background for
    that body element. Such backgrounds must also be anchored at the same
    point as they would be if they were painted only for the root element.

This could perhaps be written in a more compact way, but it's what I mean.

 From 11.1.1:

| UAs must apply the 'overflow' property set on the root element to the
| viewport. HTML UAs must instead apply the 'overflow' property from the
| BODY element to the viewport, if the value on the HTML element is
| 'visible'. The 'visible' value when used for the viewport must be
| interpreted as 'auto'. The element from which the value is propagated
| must have a used value for 'overflow' of 'visible'.

That should apply for XHTML documents in a similar way as the background
properties.

I hope this clarifies my proposal.

Regards,
--