From: Boris Zbarsky [mailto:bzbarsky@MIT.EDU]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 10:31 AM
To: rahlfors@wildcatsoftware.net
Subject: Re: Expected overflow behavior for element with clip set?

Rainer Åhlfors wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visufx.html#overflow
> Initial value of 'overflow': 'visible'
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visufx.html#clipping
> The 'clip' property applies to elements that have a 'overflow' property
with
> a value other than 'visible'.

Sure.  But Eli's test behaves the same if you set "overflow" on the child.

> Not to mention the fact that you are defining a height and width for the
> child element.

Why does that matter in this case?

> This is not a bug or a problem.

Well.  The three lead Gecko layout developers (one of whom is a CSS
Working Group member) all thought this is a problem with the spec as
written when Eli asked us about it.  Hence his mail to the group.

-Boris