Re: Stylings only possible with Tables

Spartanicus wrote:
> preferable over overflow problems, but this property of a table is also
> the cause of one of the major objections against the use of tables for
> layout: it can wreck proper incremental rendering with the entire grid
> having to be reflowed multiple times to accommodate the delayed loading

There is an element of bad authoring in this as well.  On the occasions
when I've looked at table layout web pages, I don't ever think I have
seen fixed layout mode being selected, even though the intent of the
designers is usually pixel perfection and therefore a very fixed layout.

This is not to say that fixing column widths is always good for the
reader; just that for authors aiming at truly fixed layout they
frustrate incremental rendering by ignorance.

Incidentally, one normally doesn't see the repeated reflows with tables.
  What tends to happen is the page takes a very long time before
anything is displayed at all, because the browser buffers until it can
render without fixups.

--
David Woolley