Re: [CSS3 Text] Tibetan Emphasis marks

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Can you send me use cases and explanations on how the mark is used? A use case would make this fairly simple to add/adapt in the text-emphasis area.

> The problem, as you know with Unicode, is that there are not always clear explanations documented on how characters are used or marked up.

> Regards,

> Paul Nelson

Hi Paul

I'll get you some images and send them. These emphasis marks are used for instance:

1) in commentaries on a text to highlight the words of the text being commented
upon in order to distinguish them from the words of the commentator.

2) in poems in praise of, or wishing for the long life of an individual to
highlight or emphasize the name of that person. The individual parts of the name
often being embedded within these poems in different places within the verse.

3) to highlight or pick out the name of the name of the author of
a work or it's title which may similarly be embedded in a poetic
verse at the end of the text.

Another method of emphasis used in Tibetan was to write the emphasized
text in red ink.

Bold & Italic are not found in traditional Tibetan texts - though small
interspersed annotations are sometimes hand-written in a cursive script or
printed at a smaller point size. These small annotations often being connected
to the text being annotated by a dotted line.

Following western conventions a "bold" face is now sometimes used in modern
Tibetan publications to e.g. emphasize the head words in a dictionary - or for
chapter titles.

- Chris