Re: Stylings only possible with Tables

Daniel Beardsmore <public@telcontar.net> wrote:

>Although it's [CSS] apparently
>designed to be easy to implement, I find it far too hard to figure out.

I'd agree with that last point, using CSS today requires to much
knowledge.

CSS rules on for example collapsing margins, floats and absolute
positioning are horribly over complicated which imo has contributed
significantly to (past) implementation bugs (it is mainly IE that
suffers from these at the moment).

These bugs combined with the incomplete CSS support in IE and the lack
of a good CSS layout mechanism has imo prevented the emergence of good
GUI authoring tools that would take care of creating the CSS. GUI design
tools are often derided by advocates of semantic nirvana or media
independence, but I believe that a GUI application could also cater for
those aspects.

If a good GUI tool were available then most people would be able to
create _original_ styled web content with no knowledge of CSS at all.
Currently these people have to rely on pre made templates used by
blogging services or content management systems. Not ideal, although no
disaster either given the emergence of the latter services and software
in the last years.

--
Spartanicus