Re: Stylings only possible with Tables

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Elmore" <James.Elmore@cox.net>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2007 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: Stylings only possible with Tables

Would like to remaind again one more approach
for that famous border layout[1]:

Markup:

and styling

div#body { flow:horizontal; height:*}
div#body > * { height: * }
div#body > div#content  { width: * }

will give us rendering close to this:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/sidebars.jpg

All blocks inside div#body will be placed horizontally in single row
(flow:horizontal) and
will have height of content box of div#body (second CSS rule)
div#body will take height left from #header and #footer in the view (first
rule).
And div#content will take full height of #body and width left from #leftbar
and #rightbar
(third rule).

Such layout is imposible corrently without tables in standard CSS.
We are using flow CSS attribute[2] and flex length units[3] almost 3 years -
they are recognized as highly useful and yet simple mechanisms.

To test them I recommend to download htmlayout demo browser
http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/HTMLayoutDemo.zip
and visit folders:
/html_samples/generic
/html_samples/flows