Re: Stylings only possible with Tables

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 11:11 -0700, James Elmore wrote:

> Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
>

> >>  4. Allow designers to constrain the height/width of sets of blocks ...
> >

> > This was the subject I introduced here some months back and was not well
> > understood. The only solution I've seen (that someone showed me) was
> > still a horrible hack. Combined with what you wrote in 5, this would be
> > fantastic.
>
> I remember the discussion. I don't have a complete, well thought out solution,
> but I am thinking about something like
>       .blockset1   { width: max(); height: min(); }
> This would require the CSS module to find the max, or min, or other constraint
> of a group of blocks. The blocks would be defined as belonging to a class (in
> the example, .blockset1). Other limitations, as in the table layout algorithms
> would need to be applied. If I read the specification correctly, the only
> information needed is the width of the parent block and the contents of the
> *children blocks.

There is no problem with width: 100%, this is the default for block
elements, so it is not a big deal, but the problem is with height: 100%.

The specification says that a % value can only be used if the parent
value is specified with an exactly metric (px).  Note that a parent
height with % does nullify the children % height.

This means you can never have a left/right column sided by content,
which both have exactly the same height, if you dont specify splicity
the height.

This is fine for a static content where you can force the fontsize and
heights.  However this is horrible for templating, where you dont know
the content sizes (or the columns size).

Right now the solution for this is bad css hacks (which breaks linked
content on IE and anchors and other stuff) or javascript based solution.

-Raul Dias