Re: role-edge [Was: Re: Issue with CSS2.1 9.5.1 float rules]

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> I hope that we can avoid polluting CSS with the use of role. The issue
> I have is that "role" is widely used for accessibility and seems to
> becoming something that means anything to that a person wants to
> assign. This makes effective used of a property very difficult and
> problematic.

I've just borrowed the term "role" from the [CSS3BOX] specification:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-box-20021024/#display-role

and I haven't found any terminological objections at the time of its
publication. That could mean that CSS was already "polluted" with that
term. In addition, it could be neccessary to define the model-edge (the
inner edge of the layout area) to pair the definition of role-edge.

> For example, I make a <select> element with a bunch of choices and
> assign a role for it to look like a map. Unless that role to look like
> a map is clearly defined to the world ahead of time, there is no way
> at UA will 100% be able to do the right thing if this new construct
> comes along after a browser shipped.

Well, this could be a long discussion. The meaning of "role" in the
semantic user interface markup (HTML), and the meaning of "role" in the
layout (CSS) are not mixed in my mind, though.

On the other hand, the term "outer edge" could be redefined with the new
meaning proposed for "role edge". This could lead to even more
confusion, because the "role edge" may not visually surround the box.

--
Andrei Polushin

--
Andrei Polushin