Re: Issue with CSS2.1 9.5.1 float rules

From: Zoffix Znet <zoffix@zoffix.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:32:40 -0400
To: Eli Friedman <sharparrow1@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Sat, 2007-16-06 at 14:55 -0700, Eli Friedman wrote:
> Take the following testcase:
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> -80px; border: solid blue">a</div>
> green">b</div>
> Try this testcase in any browser (at least all the
> browsers on my computer), and you will see that the
> two floats end up overlapping each other.  However,
> rule 3 says that "The right outer edge of a
> left-floating box may not be to the right of the left
> outer edge of any right-floating box that is to the
> right of it."  This rule doesn't seem consistent with
> what browsers currently implement in this case.
> The rules might need to be adjusted to account for how
> actual implementations deal with zero-width floats.

Interesting point you are bringing up. I couldn't find anything in the
specs that would justify this behaviour. I believe the specs should
elaborate on how negative margins affect the positioning of elements.
Section 10.3.5 is very brief and does not describe negative margins.
        Thank you for your time.
                Regards, Zoffix Znet
                ( http://zoffix.com , http://haslayout.net )