Re: Issue with CSS2.1 9.5.1 float rules

From: Zoffix Znet <zoffix@zoffix.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:32:40 -0400
To: Eli Friedman <sharparrow1@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Sat, 2007-16-06 at 14:55 -0700, Eli Friedman wrote:
> Take the following testcase:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> -80px; border: solid blue">a</div>
> green">b</div>
>
> Try this testcase in any browser (at least all the
> browsers on my computer), and you will see that the
> two floats end up overlapping each other.  However,
> rule 3 says that "The right outer edge of a
> left-floating box may not be to the right of the left
> outer edge of any right-floating box that is to the
> right of it."  This rule doesn't seem consistent with
> what browsers currently implement in this case.
>
> The rules might need to be adjusted to account for how
> actual implementations deal with zero-width floats.

Interesting point you are bringing up. I couldn't find anything in the
specs that would justify this behaviour. I believe the specs should
elaborate on how negative margins affect the positioning of elements.
Section 10.3.5 is very brief and does not describe negative margins.
--
        Thank you for your time.
                Regards, Zoffix Znet