Re: Proposal: font-size: auto

From: Zoffix Znet <zoffix@zoffix.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:44:02 -0400
To: Windy Road <tom@windyroad.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 2007-04-06 at 11:31 +1000, Windy Road wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose a new "auto" value for the "font-size"
> property.  When set the broswer would try to automatically set the
> font-size, based on the element width, margins and padding ( (e.g.
> width: 50em; margin: 1em; padding: 1em).
>
> A javascript simulation of the desired behaviour is available at
>
> http://windyroad.org/static/resolution-independence/
>
> Thoughts?

I've had an argument regarding something similar before. Something about
the readability dependant on characters per line.

In my personal opinion. It need a better algorithm at best. For example,
when I've tried your demo, on maximized browser window (the way I
usually browse, 1178xsome resolution) the fonts were too large, I really
did not find it too "readable" and I would decrease the font size if I
would to read that text. The opposite happened when I resized my browser
to half the width of the screen, the font size was too small for me to
read.

I think this feature could be useful, but in my opinion it needs some
better algorithm than the one you have implemented in your JavaScript
demo.