Re: [Bulk] Re: 3rd call: CSS2: howto disable audio?

From: ~:'' ありがとうございました。 <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:56:52 +0100
Cc: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>

Boris,

that's my point....

whereas image and text can be hidden independently, one cannot 'hide'
audio, video or other files by type.

this seems to be counter-intuitive, and a resolution by file type
seems feasible or possibly even near-trivial.

Is there a good reason CSS does not cover this issue?

No one has so far provided a 'good' reason why img alone should be
distinct from text.
this appears to me at least to be an historical artefact.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

On 27 Jul 2007, at 21:17, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote:
> the problem with using display:none in a user style sheet is that
> the consequences are liable to be difficult to isolate to audio
> plugins only.

The same issue applies to visual plug-ins (Flash, SVG, etc).  It's
not audio-specific.

-Boris