W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > July 2007

Re: [Bulk] Re: 3rd call: CSS2: howto disable audio?

From: ~:'' ありがとうございました。 <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:33:48 +0100
Message-Id: <24F33FAB-0168-46EA-9316-F791E7D94582@btinternet.com>
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Mike,

on the contrary, I would not expect to have to use client-side script  
to modify a plugin.
I would expect to be able to chose whether to enable plugins on a  
site by site basis, and that might be at application level.
but also I would expect via a default user style sheet to be able to  
specify that for instance I did or did not want to play audio, and  
perhaps specify some aspects such as perhaps volume.

It's true that user style sheets have failed to gain popularity to  
the same extent that authors use CSS, and the working group should  
take time to consider why this might be.
it's also relevant to ask why the author has authority to include a  
plugin and decide when it will launch using CSS, but the user has  
little if any similar control.

please consider that aural css gives the user really quite refined if  
unimplemented control.
something similar is at least worth discussing for audio in general.

also in respect of rdf which it seems in the future offers  
considerable opportunities for improving expectations.

cheers

Jonathan Chetwynd



On 24 Jul 2007, at 09:45, Mike Bremford wrote:

CSS is a layout engine. It determines the positions of blocks on a  
page, but the content of those blocks (applets, flash and even  
images) are black boxes. They're "replaced elements" and all CSS  
knows about them is their dimensions (1).

Just because the two have sound doesn't make them part of the same  
system - you wouldn't expect to use CSS to modify the appearance of  
an applet, for instance, even though an applet clearly has an  
internal layout just as CSS defines layout.

If your plugin has a published interface of some sort you might be  
able to turn off the audio with JavaScript, but that's dependent on  
the plugin.

Cheers... Mike

#1 - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html


On 24 Jul 2007, at 09:04, ~:'' ありがとうございました。  
wrote:

>
> Fantasai,
>
> that's all too easy an excuse, aka passing the buck.
> I do take your point, but however dont agree that it's necessarily  
> only a plugin issue.
>
> for instance it's likely the plugin - can - raise an interface that  
> provides a means to disable.
> However the author may chose to make this very small, off screen,  
> or not visible.
>
> it's also true that the user agent, application or browser may  
> provide an audio interface.
> furthermore client-side script can be used to play audio.
>
> However as the current functioning W3C specifications are designed  
> in such a way that CSS provides sound on event, which is a  
> reasonable expectation; is it not a sensible expectation that there  
> should equally be a way for CSS to disable or prevent audio?
>
> for instance via a user style sheet?
>
> regards
>
> Jonathan Chetwynd
>
>
>
> On 24 Jul 2007, at 06:24, fantasai wrote:
>
> ~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote:
>> fantasai,
>> thank you for your response, however this issue* is not directly  
>> related to aural CSS.
>
> My point is, you are complaining to the wrong people. If the sound is
> coming from the plugin, then you need to complain to the makers of the
> plugin. A plugin is arbitrary executable code: if it makes too much
> noise, CSS can't do anything about that.
>
> ~fantasai
>
>
>
Received on Tuesday, 24 July 2007 20:33:57 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 27 April 2009 13:54:51 GMT