Re: Block Model Additions: Float Positioning

On Friday 2007-07-20 15:11 -0700, James Elmore wrote:
> I’m not sure exactly how flowing the text boxes and blocks around the
> ‘floated’ block would work, especially when the floated element
> extends into another block. Also, positions where there is limited
> space (e.g., where only short words would fit on one side of the
> floated element) might allow some words to flow, skipping across the
> floated object and leaving other line blocks empty. This is all open
> to discussion, if the primary proposal is accepted.

I don't see how this proposal could be "accepted" without this key
part.  A key part of getting the proposal accepted is getting the
major CSS layout engine implementors to implement it, which requires
coming up with proposed details for this that are implementable in
their layout engine architectures and compatible with the rest of
the specification.  In other words, this is the hard part.

That said, I'm rather skeptical of the idea to begin with, even
without a detailed proposal.  I tend to think it will (like absolute
positioning itself) produce fragile layouts that only work over a
very narrow range of font sizes, viewport sizes, and often even font
metrics.  I'd prefer to see the absolute positioning model be a dead
end that isn't developed further, and see future development go into
more flexible layout models.

-David