Re: [cssom] Update on the CSSOM

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:13:07 +0100, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
>> As a matter of interest, does the proposal cover the ability for
>> web page authors to define application specific CSS properties?
>
> No, as this would go against the CSS parsing rules. The CSSOM
> provides an API after parsing has been done and can't influence
> that process.

Could you please expand on why a CSS parser can't use the CSS
parsing rules to identify the string value for new properties?
My understanding was that the underlying grammar was designed to
give CSS parsers the ability to identify and skip over properties
that they either didn't recognize or couldn't understand the value.

Essentially the underlying CSS grammar is analogous to the notion of
welformed XML, it allows you to parse stuff that you haven't seen
before. That is important as it allows CSS interpreters to recover
when they come across features that were added after the interpreter
was shipped.

I am merely asking for a way to provide web scripts with access to
the CSS extension mechanisms through a means to register new
properties together with the means to parse the values and construct
the corresponding results. I would be happy to provide a more
detailed proposal.

Best regards,