Re: Capability

From: Christopher Tom <cctom@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:17:43 -1000
To: www-style@w3.org

The existence of deployed content would make it more than simple
implementation, but how would dependence on existing functionality
negate the viability of a different specification which provides the
same functionality?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:48:42 +0100, Christopher Tom
> <cctom@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>> I don't think the simple existence of implementations necessarily
>> makes a difference.
>
> It does. It means there may be deployed content which relies on
> existing functionality.
>

>> Implement the new specification and the point becomes moot.
>
> See above.

As I understand it, Internet Explorer's implementation of vertical text
is based on Microsoft extensions to CSS.  Even if CSS adopts a different
specification, support for these extensions could continue in a way
which is transparent to the user.