Re: [CSS3 Text Layout] working draft (compact version)

The choice of top-to-bottom as default for right-to-left scripts is not
based on what is common in existing documents.  It is so the reader
doesn't need to switch reading direction when they encounter the
embedded right-to-left script.  My feeling is that it isn't unreasonable
to expect someone who wants to orient embedded horizontal scripts in a
certain direction (for example to align the text orientation with the
block progression direction) to mark their horizontal scripts up with
the direction they want.  Note that both left-to-right and right-to-left
scripts would have the same mark up (eg. text-orientation-vertical:
right) for this purpose.  This is something I would definitely like to
hear other opinions on though.

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> Elika's document should not be the only document you consider for understanding vertical text layout. For example, Arabic text in the common form of documents in vertial text mode rotates 90 degrees clockwise, *not* 90 degrees counterclockwise as you indicate.

The text-orientation-vertical: natural layout is completely consistent
with the natural orthography.  Cases like text-orientation-vertical:
left for Latin scripts laid out horizontally are, I think, also possible
with glyph-orientation-horizontal: 270.  Removing the need to specify an
inline direction is simply to remove the need to specify things which
don't need to be specified to obtain correct results.